The NMPCU works closely with the Home Office, Telecommunications Industry, Law Enforcement Agencies and the Financial Sector. Our focus is the reduction of crimes involving the theft or handling of a mobile phone. We gather, develop and disseminate intelligence on Organised Criminal Groups and conduct proactive investigations in line with our agreed priorities.
- Mulit-agency work encouraging the public to register their mobile phone's unique serial number, known as the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) on Immobilise.
- Joint work with the Telecommunications Industry on mobile phone blocking, to ensure that stolen phones do not work in the UK.
- Threat Assessments of new and emerging technologies and crime trends such as mobile phone thefts from music venues and festivals.
- Provide the National Intelligence picture for phone related criminality: Lead, assist and/or advise upon investigations into projects with strategic national implications.
- Develop tactics to support the investigation of Serious Violent and Acquisitive Crime.
- To counter the exportation of stolen telecommunications equipment and devices.
- To assist in the Policing and enforcement of the Recyclers Charter guiding principles with particular emphasis on companies not practicing an adequate form of due diligence.
- Recyclers Code of Practice (261 Kb)